Before you Apply
- The visa type you are applying for is a USA Working Holiday
- You will apply for this visa electronically and will not need to physically send your passport anywhere
- The New Zealand Student Visa fee is waived for US passport holders. However, there is a NZD$35 required International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy.
- As a reminder, the Working Holiday Visa (WHV) is a once in a lifetime visa
Please note: Be aware that Immigration New Zealand can always make updates or changes to the application process and/or fees. If you notice anything different to the information provided here, please alert your Program Manager before continuing your visa application.
What you will need
- A copy of your valid passport, valid for at least 15 months after you first arrive in New Zealand.
- Evidence of sufficient funds (a screenshot of a bank statement from you or a parent/guardian). At this time, the New Zealand government is requesting proof of approximately NZD$4,200 (approximately USD $2,800-$3,000) but this is subject to change.
- Proof of onward travel. You must have a ticket to leave New Zealand or enough money to buy one; you may be asked for this proof once you arrive in the country.
- Full medical insurance for length of stay (letter from TEAN)
- You will need to notify your bank prior to paying for your visa (if applicable), as it might get flagged as an unauthorized international purchase
In our experience, the visa approval process typically takes approximately two weeks but this cannot be guaranteed. You should apply as soon as possible to avoid any issues closer to departure.
Once you receive your visa approval, please upload it to the “Upload Final Proof of Visa” section of your TEAN application.
Please complete your visa application using the following instructions. Failure to answer questions correctly may delay your visa and therefore your entry date into New Zealand. The following notes are applicable to the majority of students but ultimately it is your responsibility to read the application and ensure that you are answering all questions truthfully. If you are unsure how you should respond to a question, please check with your Program Manager.