2022 is the year to get back out there and explore the world! After a … Read more
Fudan University Summer Program
Learn first-hand how China has developed into an economic powerhouse and discover the intriguing appeal of the Far East. Spend your summer studying in Shanghai, China – an exhilarating city that allows you to explore both an ancient cultural past and an exciting future as a global center of commerce, industry and innovation. In partnership with Fudan University, one of China’s most prestigious institutions, this summer program is perfect for anyone looking to gain Mandarin language experience, study Chinese culture, business or history while making connections with students from around the world.
The Fudan International Summer School, in partnership with TEAN, provides an unparalleled opportunity to study at one of China’s most respected universities in one of China’s greatest cities
Learn about China’s unique development over the centuries through a wide selection of English-taught courses in Chinese Politics, History, Culture, Literature, Philosophy and Business
Study Mandarin - the world’s most spoken language - and practice speaking with locals daily to see your language skills quickly develop
Experience living in the international city of Shanghai, where you will find a mix of European and Chinese cultures blending together
Relax in your pre-arranged housing with your roommate(s) at your off-campus dorm just minutes away from Fudan’s campus
Explore the city with a one-day orientation where you will meet other TEAN students over dinner and have a tour of Shanghai
Immerse yourself in the culture of Shanghai with the cultural activities conducted by Fudan University such as a Tai Chi lessons or a Huangpu River Cruise
Appreciate access to TEAN’s Shanghai Resident Director and other in-country staff for continued support throughout the summer
Arrive in China for a one-day orientation run by TEAN’s Shanghai-based staff. An introductory tour around Shanghai and a welcome dinner will get you accustomed to your surroundings and our local support team. The day before classes start at Fudan University, take advantage of our university Orientation during which you will also complete final registration for classes.
TEAN students are guaranteed housing within walking distance to the university. Housing includes utilities, WiFi, and kitchen space shared with other students. Students will live within walking distance to many local trendy shops, cafes, and restaurants in the bustling neighborhood around Fudan’s campus.
Our team works with you start to finish through the study abroad process. Our programs staff will help guide you through the application process to go abroad, then upon arrival in China, you will meet our team who will provide assistance during your time in-country. Our staff is readily available and able to assist you with any academic, social, or cultural questions or issues that you may face during your time abroad.Meet the Team
During the four-week program, Fudan University hosts a number of cultural events to help you get acquainted with, and fully explore, your adopted city. Enjoy a cruise on the Huangpu River learning about the history of the Bund on the west bank and the modern Pudong area on the east bank as your boat navigates Shanghai’s busy shipping artery. Other activities include a dumpling making class, Tai Chi lessons, an industry visit to Bao Steel, a state-owned organization, and an incredible Chinese acrobatic show.
About the Academic Program
- Founded in 1905, Fudan is consistently ranked in the top three universities in China, in the top 100 universities globally and number one in Shanghai based on the QS World University Rankings 2015.
- The campus combines modern China with the traditions and customs of the university’s rich 100-year history. Modern towers complement beautiful Chinese gardens and provide a stimulating and contemplative environment for learning.
- Located in the Yangpu District, north of Shanghai’s city center, the university is serviced by the city’s extensive subway system with a train station is just a short walk from campus.
- The Fudan University International Summer Session allows students to pursue credit for coursework in Chinese History and Culture, Society and Politics, Business and Economics, and Global Issues of the 21st Century.
- In addition, students can build their Mandarin language skills with courses offered at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels.
- Local Fudan University students also participate in the program providing a rich integrated and truly international summer experience.
Fudan University is a traditional campus located in the Yangpu District, north of Shanghai’s city center. Visit the google map link below to see the location.View Map
Students will have the option of taking one language class (beginner, intermediate or advanced) and can choose either one or two content courses. Students are not required to take a language course but must take either one or two content courses.
Each course listed below is offered at 39 contact hours, while language courses are offered at 40 contact hours over the four-week study period. The participant’s home university will determine ultimate credit approval and transfer. Students will enroll in courses 2-4 weeks prior to the program start date.
For detailed instructions on how to find courses and syllabi, please see our course selection instructions.Course Selection
|Humanities & Social Sciences||
- 2.75 GPA. Students with a slightly lower GPA should contact TEAN and may be admitted on a case-by-case basis.
- Must be enrolled in a 2 or 4 year university at time of application
- Gap year students can apply if they have completed high school and can show proof of acceptance into a U.S. institution.
- Students holding citizenship from China, Macau, Taiwan and Hong Kong are encouraged to contact us for special approval to attend the program. Chinese University policy can set limits on student participation if they do not hold citizenship in another country.
Dates, Fees & Inclusions
TEAN has a rolling admissions process. We recommend submitting your application anytime from January for Summer applications. Late applications may be considered. Contact TEAN if the application deadline has passed.
|Summer Deadline||April 1|
Your signed program contract and full payment for the program are due by the program deadline. Please note we do have options for using financial aid and enrolling in a payment plan if you cannot make full payment by the payment deadline. You can find more information about funding your program here
|Spring Payment Deadline||April 15|
Summer 2023 Dates
Summer 2023 dates are coming soon!
Summer 2023 Fees
Program Fees: $6,750
- Full tuition for 1 – 3 courses.
- Guaranteed prearranged, housing within walking distance to the university
- Comprehensive overseas health insurance
- Services of local TEAN Resident Directors
- One-day TEAN Orientation Program with meals and transportation
- Official academic transcripts from host institution
- Credit approval and transfer assistance
- Academic advising
- Airport pickup and reception
- Host university orientation
- Cultural events/activities
What’s Not Included
- International airfare ($1,100)
- Student visa ($130)
- Books ($200)
- Meals ($500)
- Airport transfer at end of semester ($30)
- International mailing of admissions documents ($45)
- Visa Adjustment Fee – only required if applicant does not receive a visa covering the duration of their stay ($150)
- Travel insurance ($350)
*Numbers are estimated based on previous student experience and budget. Actual amounts will vary depending on student.
Apply for TEAN scholarships – starting at $1,000 – for the chance to receive money specifically for studying abroad. Each year we award thousands of dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships, diversity scholarships, a full ride scholarship and more. Visit our scholarships page for details!
We Love Shanghai
Resident Director - Shanghai
Cheap Business Attire
Got a big interview coming up when you get home? Don’t sweat it — head to the South Bund Clothing Market at Nanpu Bridge off of Metro Line 4. You can have a men’s dress shirt made to order for 100 RMB and a sport coat for 400 RMB. Ladies’ prices are comparable, and you can also find lots of knickknacks for loved ones back home with all prices being negotiable. The shop rent is cheaper on the 3rd floor, so head upstairs for the best deals on the best threads! If you want, they can copy clothes off of example items or photos you bring in.
How did you come to work in International Education?
Right after my graduation from Fudan University, I started to work in international education at Fudan. I have been working on admission of international students for 13 years. My work at Fudan University was to provide general services to international students. Now I work with TEAN students and help them with everything in-country. I arrange cultural activities to help students get in touch with local people and engage them into local culture.
What about Chinese culture and life in Shanghai most surprises students when they arrive?
I think it is the food here. Near Fudan University, there are so many restaurants and street food that are so tasty and so cheap. I think Chinese people are really creative in making food. Just prepare your stomach, you will love it.
What is your favorite dish in Shanghai that you would encourage every student to try?
My favourite dish is sweet and sour boneless yellow fish. I have loved it ever since childhood. We will have it together during our orientation in the most famous Shanghai restaurant, Lv Bo Lang.
What are some of the not-to-be-missed bucket list items every study abroad student should check off their list during their semester abroad?
I would say trying to speak the local language and holding conversations with locals, eating all the types of food, making as many friends as possible, going to another city without the assistance of anyone and trying to make your way around.
What are some of your favorite Shanghai secret spots that you love but maybe are a bit off the beaten track?
Bus 49 goes through the most beautiful part of Shanghai. It connects the east Bund area with the west French concession area. The cost is only RMB 2 for a single trip. On the way, you can see most beautiful streets and architecture in Shanghai. Try to take the bus in different seasons to see great views.