You’ve seen the ellie selfies – smiling faces beaming next to a gentle giant in … Read more
Summer in Bangkok
Experience the thrill of studying and living in Bangkok, Thailand’s sprawling capital city and a global hub of culture, commerce and cuisine. Though Bangkok is a major metropolis, this semester program is the least expensive of all TEAN offerings and offers students a surprisingly affordable cost of living. Study at Mahidol University International College (MUIC), the English-speaking arm of the esteemed Mahidol University, taking a variety of classes in English along with your Thai peers. Often considered the gateway to Asia, Bangkok is a great jumping off point to explore further afield in neighboring countries such as Cambodia, Malaysia, Myanmar and more. Of course, the incredible Thai street food, unique culture and varied landscape may have you wanting to just stick around the Land of Smiles!
Study in Thailand’s buzzing capital of Bangkok at one of the country’s top three ranked schools, Mahidol University
Explore more of what Thailand has to offer during included excursions to the charming northern town of Chiang Mai and stunning tropical southern Krabi coastline
Benefit from access to local TEAN support staff for continued guidance throughout the semester
Get to know your host home and university with a fun 4-day orientation that covers cultural differences, a secret field trip, a Bangkok city tour and more
Live in modern, off-campus apartments for a taste of independent living in a big city
Dive deep into a culture that in many ways has remained unchanged for centuries while still evolving to meet contemporary lifestyles
Home to more than eight million people and often the most-visited city in the world, Bangkok offers a kaleidoscope of culture, color, cuisine, and traffic congestion. Arriving in the city can sometimes be overwhelming for first timers but don’t worry, you’ll soon fall in love with the electric pull of the Big Mango. Ease into the transition with TEAN’s 4-day included orientation that will introduce you to your new campus, go over cultural backgrounds and differences, show you how to use public transport and take you to a range of the city’s most interesting sites, such as the Bangkok Arts and Culture Center, Lumphini Park (the equivalent of New York’s Central Park) and the riverside arts, dining, and entertainment hub of Asiatique.
Modern, off-campus, twin-share apartments approximately 10 minutes from campus via free shuttle bus. The comfortable apartments include WiFi, cable television, pool and gym access, laundry facilities, a free weekly cleaning service and communal rooftop area with plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby.
Our team works with you start to finish through the study abroad process. Our programs staff will help guide you through the application process to go abroad, then upon arrival in Bangkok, you will be met by our on-site staff who will provide assistance throughout your time in Thailand. Through regular on-campus advising hours, informal meals held together and excursions, our staff is readily available and able to assist you with any academic, social, or cultural questions or issues that you may face during your time abroad.
About the Academic Program
- TEAN students enroll at Mahidol University International College (MUIC)
- Mahidol University was established in 1888 and is ranked in the top 3 universities in Thailand
- The university established the International College in 1986 offering the first international undergraduate programs at a Thai public university with all courses in English
- MUIC has a student enrollment of 3,400: 90% Thai students and 10% international students representing more than 45 nationalities
- MUIC is located on the Mahidol University campus allowing students access to university facilities, however, operates like a campus within a campus – providing student services in English (a library, health services, printing services, etc.)
- MUIC’s Business department is AASCB accredited
Mahidol University is a traditional campus located in Salaya, an outer suburb of Bangkok, approximately 16 miles from the city centre. Visit the google map link below to see the location.View Map
- 2.5 GPA.
- Students with a GPA below 2.5 are encouraged to contact TEAN and may be admitted on a case-by-case basis.
- Undergraduate with a minimum of one semester completed at a 4-year institution at the time of enrollment at MUIC.
- Students attending 2- and 4-year schools in the U.S.
TEAN has a rolling admissions process. We recommend submitting your application anytime from May for Spring applications, and from January for Fall applications. Late applications may be considered. Contact TEAN if the application deadline has passed.
|Summer 2023 Deadline||March 1|
Your signed program contract and full payment for the program are due by the program deadline. Please note we do have options for using financial aid and enrolling in a payment plan if you cannot make full payment by the payment deadline. You can find more information about funding your program here
|Summer 2023 Payment Deadline||March 15|
|Arrival Date||Late June|
|TEAN Orientation||Early July|
|MUIC Orientation||Early July|
|Program Ends||Late July|
Fees & Inclusions
Tuition, program fees, and housing: TBD
- Tuition (1 course)
- Guaranteed, pre-arranged, off-campus TEAN housing
- Overseas health insurance, plus evacuation and repatriation insurance
- Services of local Resident Directors
- Multi-day Orientation Program with some meals, excursions and transportation
- Cultural events scheduled throughout the semester
- WiFi access in all housing
- Assistance with setting up local SIM Card
- Extensive pre-departure guidance and information packets
- University and course selection advice
- Official academic transcripts from host institution
- Credit approval and transfer assistance
- Help with student visa preparation
- Financial aid transfer planning
- Airport pick-up and reception in Bangkok
- Arrival welcome packet containing important local contact details and information
- Farewell Dinner at the end of program
- Host university orientation
What’s Not Included
- International airfare ($1,500 – $2,800)
- Meals/food ($350)
- Local Transportation ($150)
- Travel insurance ($350)
*Costs are estimated based on previous student experience and budget. Actual amounts will vary depending on the student.
Apply for TEAN scholarships – starting at $1,000 – for the chance to receive money specifically for studying abroad. Each year we award thousands of dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships, diversity scholarships, a full ride scholarship and more. Visit our scholarships page for details!
We Love Bangkok
Resident Director - Thailand
Chiang Mai Tip
There’s no lack of organic, vegetarian options throughout the city, but Pun Pun Organic Restaurant stands out from all the rest. With two locations, one near Central Airport Plaza and the other behind Wat Suan Dok, Pun Pun’s restaurants are products of a small organic farm, seed saving, sustainable living and learning centre located 50 km north of Chiang Mai. The restaurants were created with the goal of supporting local organic farmers in the region as well as providing healthy dishes (no MSG, GMOs or preservatives) to the community.
Paula Rivera Santos
Night-Time Tuk Tuk Tour
Though they seem cool when you first arrive, getting around by tuk tuks is not very efficient or cost-effective. That said, you can’t visit Bangkok without riding in one of its iconic three-wheeled rickshaws! Several local operators run nighttime tuk tuk tours that are just as fun and invigorating as they are insightful. You’re sure to experience parts of the city you’ve never seen before or popular spots in a whole new way..,after dar